A splendid vermeil cigar box
a present from the shipping company Rankin, Gilmore & Co., given to John Rankin in commemoration of his 50th anniversary in the company
Silver gilt, embossed and engraved floral decoration and ten hand painted enamel cartouches. The lid with the shipping company's coat of arms, flanked by Poseidon and Triton, the cartouches with the coat of arms of the Rankin family and the monogram "JR", resp. The body with four mermaid shaped feet, the corners decorated with Justitia, Fides, Felicitas, and Caritas. The medallions with a portrait of John Rankin, the company's ships "Actaeon" 1854 and "St. Theodore", the company flags "P.G." (for Pollok, Gilmore & Co., founded in 1804) and "R.G.", as well as the company building in Liverpool and Rankin's estate. Master mark "M & W" of the English court jeweller Mappin & Webb with a Sheffield hallmark dated 1911. The inside covered with red velvet. One medallion chipped, the base slightly dropped due to the heavy net weight of ca. 5 kg. Size ca. 52 x 37 x 34 cm.
On 1st September 1911 John Rankin celebrated his 50th anniversary and received from his partners T.F. Harrison and Robert Rankin a silver model of the company's first ship, the "Saint Mungo". This beautiful cigar box was given to him by his staff members, captains, officers, and engineers. Cf. John Rankin, A History of Our Firm 1804 - 1920, Liverpool 1921, enclosed are copies with anecdotes of the depicted ships. The cargo ship "St. Theodore" was captured by the German auxilary cruiser SMS "Möwe" commanded by Corvette Captain Graf zu Dohna-Schlodien in 1916 and became the German corsair "Geier".
Important object of British naval history.
||Limit: 25000 EURO